Monday, January 18, 2016

The Painter's Daughter by Julie Klassen


Somehow I found time to read a book. I'm not sure how or when it will happen again, but here are my thoughts on the one I chose to read and review.
 
I've always been a fan of Julie Klassen's books, especially since I love the time period she captures.
The Painter's Daughter seemed a bit different from her other novels, yet I still enjoyed reading about Captain Overtree and Miss Dupont and the struggles in which they found themselves.
 
The story started off slowly for me but did eventually gain my interest. Sophie Dupont is a unique heroine by the fact that she's not all that likeable at first, at least not to me. She's naïve and definitely a poor judge of character. I'm not sure what attracted her to the other Overtree brother besides his supposed good looks, but I longed for her to get over him.
Captain Stephen Overtree was gallant enough, but their connection took longer for me to understand. The "chemistry", you might say, wasn't there for me.
 
Still, the plot ruled the day because I did in fact desire to know how everything would tie together. Would Wesley find out about the baby? Would Sophie's pregnancy end well?
As a pregnant woman myself, I was fascinated.
 
While not my favorite Klassen novel, I liked The Painter's Daughter well enough, and other readers will surely like it more.
Like always, I'm looking forward to her next book.

 

From the Back Cover:

Sophie Dupont assists her father in his studio, keeping her own artwork out of sight. In private, she paints the picturesque north Devon coast, popular with artists--including Wesley Overtree, who seems more interested in Sophie than the landscape.
 
Captain Stephen Overtree is accustomed to taking on his brother Wesley's responsibilities. Near the end of his leave, he is sent to find his brother and bring him home. Upon reaching Devonshire, however, Stephen is stunned to learn Wesley has sailed for Italy and left his host's daughter in serious trouble.
 
Stephen feels duty-bound to act, and strangely protective of the young lady, who somehow seems familiar. Wanting to make some recompense for his own past failings as well as his brother's, Stephen proposes to Miss Dupont. He does not offer love, but marriage "in name only" to save her from scandal. If he dies in battle, as he fears, she will at least be a respectable widow.
 
Desperate for a way to escape her predicament, Sophie finds herself torn between her first love and this brooding man she barely knows. Dare she wait for Wesley to return? Or should she elope with the captain and pray she doesn't come to regret it?
 
 
*I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.*
 


No comments:

Post a Comment