Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sabotaged by Dani Pettrey

 
Suspense isn't a genre I typically choose. Recently, I read one by Colleen Coble that intrigued me, so I chose to give this genre another try and decided to review Sabotaged by Dani Pettrey.
 
The cover is eye-catching with its crisp colors, isn't it? A reader will know to expect a snowy setting, a determined heroine, and a race. Dani Pettrey's novels gather fabulous reviews, and her fans were dying for this story, the last of the Alaskan Courage series.
 
Unfortunately, this story wasn't for me. This review is difficult to write because I do not like giving negative reviews. But when I requested the book, I promised to provide an honest review. As I share what I didn't enjoy, please remember I'm only one reader. Tons of people LOVE this book. There are over 130 five-star reviews on Amazon that testify to that.
 
What I Didn't Love
 
The story seemed to start in the middle, instead of the beginning. This might be because I haven't read the other books in this series. I stayed confused, especially with so many characters being mentioned in the first few chapters.
 
Many of the scenes were super short and chopped up to the point where I had to stop and reread to make sure I understood whose POV I was in. Some of the scenes didn't have a clear goal--I didn't understand what the scenes accomplished.
 
I don't count this next point as a spoiler because it happens in the beginning of the story. The heroine Kirra is asleep in a cave with the hero Reef (circumstances demand this). While sleeping, she actually kisses Reef. This completely threw me. The act seemed bizarre, especially considering the story had barely begun. I'm sure the author was going for romantic tension, but the whole thing bothered me, I'm afraid.
 
The heroine kept worrying about some event in her past, to the point where I just wanted her to talk about it. (I might've lacked compassion for the poor girl.)
 
Some of the writing didn't flow to me. Example: "Reef's last words to her flitting, no stomped, through her mind." Another example: "She took a deep breath, expelling it in a rush."
 
Why You Should Give This Book A Try
 
Dani Pettrey is a popular author, one who has four other novels in this popular series. She has a talent for crafting suspense, and her stories take place in Alaska, which is a unique setting.
 
 
139 Five-Star Reviews. Wow. Just wow.
 
Chances are you will LOVE this story. (Again, suspense isn't my typical genre. Mystery-lovers ought to devour this one.)
 
I found another one of her novels free on my Kindle. I started that one (Submerged) and am liking it.
 
Though Sabotaged wasn't my favorite, I encourage you to read some sample pages to determine if  you're a part of the majority who are enthralled with Pettrey's books.
 
 
Back Cover Blurb:
 
Growing up, Goody-Two Shoes Kirra Jacobs and Trouble-maker Reef McKenna were always at odds. Now as they work search-and-rescue together for Alaska's arduous Iditarod race, a growing attraction seems to be forcing aside old arguments. Then Reef catches Kirra sneaking from camp in the middle of the night.
 
Kirra's uncle, a musher in the race, has disappeared. Kirra and Reef quickly track the man, but what they discover is harrowing: Frank's daughter has been kidnapped. Kirra and Reef, along with the entire McKenna family, are thrown into a race to stop a shadowy villain who is not only threatening a girl's life--but appears willing to unleash one of the largest disasters Alaska has ever seen.
 
*I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review."  

No comments:

Post a Comment