Monday, October 6, 2014

Becoming Bea by Leslie Gould

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Bea-Courtships-Lancaster-County/dp/0764210343

 
First Lines:
"I won the third-grade spelling bee with H-A-R-M-O-N-Y. It was a word I loved but was not a feeling I often experienced--except for this moment, sitting on the porch of our farmhouse with my Mamm.
 
 
My Thoughts:
After loving Leslie's Gould's three previous books in the Courtships of Lancaster County series, I figured this one would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
I love being right.
Keep in mind this review is coming from a girl who used to dislike Amish fiction. A girl who never got into Shakespeare. Yet I love this author's Amish retellings of Shakespeare's plays. One of the books I constantly recommend is Courting Cate, but Becoming Bea was a lovely conclusion to the series.
Bea is an introvert and a lover of words--as am I. She feels as if she doesn't have a significant role in her household, and ultimately she doesn't believe she has much of a future. Marriage isn't one of her goals--it's too much work. Instead she'd love to own a bookstore. And stay far away from Ben Rupp, the boy who was her friend/enemy (complicated relationship, folks) all through her childhood.
 
Are you one of those people who think Amish fiction is boring? Because this series most definitely is not. Gould pens tension and drama without anything seeming over the top. The characters are realistic, the setting beautiful. This book is more than a romance. The story shows how we all must face our faults and call on the Lord to help us overcome them. Love isn't easy--it requires forgiveness and grace. 
Every detail, from sick babies to betrayal, is written in a way to blanket the reader in the adventure and keep her cozy until the story ends.
 
 If you don't think you like Amish fiction, read this book. If you do like Amish fiction, read this book.
It's good, y'all.
 
If you'd like, you can buy it here.



From the Back Cover:
 
Beatrice Zook knows God wants her to learn patience toward others. When assisting a family overwhelmed by triplets proves surprisingly successful, her confidence in dealing with others, both young and old, grows.
 
One person she'll never be able to find peace with though is Ben Rupp. They've known each other forever, and Ben understands precisely how to antagonize her. What neither she nor Ben will admit is that beneath all their bickering, attraction awaits. When friends decide to try and bring the couple together, will the pair be able to find true love? Or will they damage their relationship beyond repair?
 
*I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
 
 
There's still time for you to enter my giveaway. You could win Starbucks coffee or books!

No comments:

Post a Comment